Friday, January 2, 2015

I Can't Remember

(Ruth Barrett read this poem written by her sister, Marion Wisner, at the WMSC Holiday Party in December. We liked it so much we thought we'd share it with those of you who were unable to be there.

 
I CAN'T REMEMBER

Just a line to say I'm living,
that I'm not among the dead.
 

Though I'm getting more forgetful
and mixed up in the head.


I got used to my arthritis,
to my dentures I'm resigned.

I can manage my bifocals
but, God, I miss my mind!


For sometimes I can't remember
when I stand at the foot of the stairs


If I must go up for something
or have I just come down from there?

And before the fridge so often
my poor mind is filled with doubt --

Have I just put food away, or
have I come to take some out?


And there's times when it is dark
with my nightcap on my head.


I don't know if I'm retiring, or
just getting out of bed.


So, if it's my turn to write you,
there's no need for getting sore.


I may think that I have written
and don't want to be a bore.


So remember that I love you
and wish that you were near.


But now it's nearly mail time,
so I must say "Good-bye dear.”


There I stand before the mailbox
with a face so very red --


Instead of mailing you my letter,
I had opened it instead!!!!


Marion Wisner


For more information about Western Mountains Senior College visit our website at http://sad44.maineadulted.org/western_mountains_senior_college